Book in now!
Start time - 10.30am (meet at Temple Basin - @ the lecture room in the Main Lodge)
End time - 5.00pm (back at the Lodge)
To register: tick he Avalanche Awareness Workshop box when you register for SplitFest here
To complete enrolment: we will email a Course Enrolment Form to everyone who has registered. Fill this out and return by email to email@example.com
Course fee: $65 - NZ's best value avalanche training! Simply pay with your SplitFest registration.
-Understanding the basics of avalanche formation and release
-Identification of avalanche terrain
-Basic route finding and decision making
-Use of appropriate travel techniques in avalanche terrain
-Equipment selection and use of transceivers and other equipment
Make sure you are self sufficient for backcountry touring and also have your nutcracker for riding the lift (or just grab a Club tow belt if not). This means:
- Transceiver, probe and shovel
- Day pack, with water, snacks, sunblock, sunnies, extra warm layer, repair kit, personal first aid kit etc.
- Your chosen riding / sliding equipment and means to attach it securely to your pack.
- Uphill touring gear (ie. skins or snowshoes and possibly crampons) is preferable but not absolutely essential. The group will make touring plans to suit all those present but please ensure you have prepared yourself as suitable for the snow conditions on the day. Ski poles / walking poles or an ice axe are recommended ie. if it is looking icy and you have an iceaxe bring it along. A helmet is also recommended.
• You may wish to take notes – a notebook is ideal.
Please enquire if you are unsure of the suitability of your equipment.
** note that the Avalanche Awareness Workshop is also the first day of the 2 day Big Mountain Camp - more details here
See you at SplitFest!